Get Your Greek On at My Next Alexander Payne Book Event
I am personally inviting you to attend my next Alexander Payne book event:
Friday, Nov. 16, St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, 6:30 pm 602 Park Avenue,
George and Peggy Payne Community Center (lower level, south entrance)
I will be signing copies of “Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film – A Reporter’s Perspective 1998-2012.”
Yummy Greek treats served.
Come mingle with Omaha’s Greek American community and enjoy the splendor of this recently restored Byzantine-style edifice. This is the very church the filmmaker and his family belong to. His grandfather helped found it.
I will talk a bit about Payne and the book and I will personally sign copies.
Hope to see you there.
Here’s what others are saying about the book:
“Leo Biga, through his extraordinary talent with words, brings us a fascinating, comprehensive, insightful portrait of the work and artistry of Alexander Payne. Mr. Biga’s collection of essays document the evolution and growth of this significant American filmmaker and he includes relevant historical context of the old Hollywood and the new. His keen reporter’s eye gives the reader an exciting journey into the art of telling stories on film.” –Ron Hull, Nebraska Educational Television, UNL emeritus professor of broadcasting, author of the new memoir, “Backstage”
“I’d be an Alexander Payne fan even if we didn’t share a Nebraska upbringing: he is a masterly, menschy, singular storyteller whose movies are both serious and unpretentious, delightfully funny and deeply moving. And he’s fortunate indeed to have such a thoughtful and insightful chronicler as Leo Biga.” –Kurt Andersen, novelist (“True Believers”) and “Studio 360″ host
“Alexander Payne is one of American cinema’s leading lights. How fortunate we are that Leo Biga has chronicled his rise to success so thoroughly.” –Leonard Maltin, national film critic and best-selling author
Buy a copy or two or three. The book makes a great gift for the film lover in your life.
More about the book at AlexanderPayneTheBook.com.
Preview the book at www.facebook.com/LeoAdamBiga.
- Alexander Payne book news (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- Another sweet endorsement for my Alexander Payne book… (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- Alexander Payne’s ‘Nebraska’ Comes Home to Roost: The State’s Cinema Prodigal Son is Back Filming Again in his Home State after Long Absence (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
Author-journalist-blogger Leo Adam Biga resides in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. He writes newspaper-magazine stories about people, their passions, and their magnificent obsessions. He's the author of the books "Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film – A Reporter's Perspective 1998-2012," a compilation of his journalism about the acclaimed filmmaker, and "Open Wide" a biograpy of Mark Manhart. Biga co-edited "Memories of the Jewish Midwest: Mom and Pop Grocery Stores." His popular blog, leoadambiga.wordpress.com, is an online gallery of his work.
- UNO makes it public: I’m going to Africa with The Champ as a 2015 winner of the Andy Award for Int... leoadambiga.com/2015/05/21/uno… 1 week ago
- UNO makes it public: I'm going to Africa with The Champ as a 2015 winner of the Andy Award for... tmblr.co/ZLwDem1lK9Aoj 1 week ago
- UNO makes it public: I'm going to Africa with The Champ as a 2015 winner of the Andy Award for International… wp.me/pTQQZ-2MA 1 week ago
My Favorite Tags
My Favorite Categories
Calendar of Blog Posts
Categories from A to Z and # of Posts
- Color-blind love: Five interracial couples share their stories
- Long-Separated Brother and Sister from Puerto Rico Reunited in Omaha
- From the Archives: Peony Park Not Just an Amusement Playground, But a Multi-Use Events Facility
- South Omaha Stories on tap for free PlayFest show; Great Plains Theatre Conference's Neighborhood Tapestries returns to the south side
- From the Archives: Monika Kelly Recalls her Late Father, the Beloved Clown and Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Legend, Emmett Kelly Sr.
- Free Radical Ernie Chambers the Subject of New Biography by Author Tekla Agbala Ali Johnson
- A Berlin Airlift Story
- Brandeis Story: Great Plains Family-Owned Department Store Empire
- John Beasley and Sons Make Acting a Family Thing at the John Beasley Theater & Workshop and Beyond
- Timeless Fashion Illustrator Mary Mitchell: Her Work Illustrating Three Decades of Style Now Subject of New Book and Exhibition
- UNO makes it public: I’m going to Africa with The Champ as a 2015 winner of the Andy Award for International Journalism
- Hair stylist-makeup artist Omar Rodriguez views himself as artisan
- Making the Cut: Music video editor Taylor Tracy
- THE GREAT MIGRATION: WHEREVER PEOPLE MOVE, HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS
- Civil rights veteran Tommie Wilson still fighting the good fight
- South Omaha Stories on tap for free PlayFest show; Great Plains Theatre Conference’s Neighborhood Tapestries returns to the south side
- Celebrating 90 years, the Omaha Community Playhouse takes seriously its community theater mission
- Paul Williams: Alive and Well, Sober and Serene, Making Memorable Music Again at 74
- Pad man Esau Dieguez gets world champ Terence Crawford ready
- Masterful: Joe Maass leads Omaha South High soccer evolution
- For Omaha Film Festival guru Marc Longbrake, cinema is no passing fancy
- Omaha conquering hero Terence Crawford adds second boxing title to his legend; Going to Africa with The Champ; B & B Boxing Academy builds champions inside and outside the ring
- 452,100 hits