My Forthcoming Book, ‘Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film, A Reporter’s Perspective, 1998-2012,’ Due for a Fall 2012 Release
As of February 23, 2012, I have entered into a contract with Concierge Marketing of Omaha to help me realize my book, Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film, A Reporter’s Perspective, 1998-2012. The book is a compilation of stories I have written about the celebrated winning writer-director of Citizen Ruth, Election, About Schmidt, Sideways, and The Descendants. It hopefully bodes well for the book now that he is a two-time Oscar winner after sharing the 2012 Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award for The Descendants with Nat Faxon and Jim Rash. Payne previously won in the same category for Sideways, sharing that award with Jim Taylor, one of his producing partners on The Descendants.
I have covered Payne for 15 years, doing dozens of interviews with him and his collaborators in that time, even watching him direct on set for a week’s time, thus making me something of an authority on his work.
Payne is the subject of much media coverage but a collection of stories about him has never been published. That will change with my book. This compilation of my articles about Payne charts the arc of the writer-director’s feature career. For the first time, film fans and scholars can follow his cinematic journey from promising upstart to celebrated international artist and along the way learn in-depth his creative process.
The Oscar-winner long ago became the object of intense interest. My rare access to Payne has put me in the unique position of sharing an entire body of work about the filmmaker in a single volume. In story after story, I lay out the progression of the filmmaker’s journey, liberally quoting Payne talking about his own work and methodologies. There are also ample insights by some of Payne’s closest collaborators. Introducing each set of stories is my own cogent analysis and behind-the-scenes context. I bring to the project not only a personal archive of Payne interviews, observations, and stories but a lifelong cinema passion. As a film buff I have not only seen lots of movies and read scores of film books, but for several years I served as a film programmer for various art cinema series.
Bringing this deep knowledge and long insider access to bear, I provide the most comprehensive look to date at Payne. Readers will come away from the book with a fuller understanding of Payne and his movies. Because I write for general audiences, my articles and analyses are eminently readable and free of any academic jargon that could otherwise stand in the way of appreciating the filmmaker and his films. I explore Payne’s journey from cheeky provocateur to master cinema satirist, noting all the pertinent way-stops and detours along the way and speculating on where he might be headed next.
- Payne Delivers Another Screen Gem with ‘The Descendants’ and Further Enhances His Cinema Standing (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- Alexander Payne and Kaui Hart Hemmings on the Symbiosis Behind His Film and Her Novel ‘The Descendants’ and Her Role in Helping Him Get Hawaii Right (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- Alexander Payne Achieves New Heights in ‘The Descendants’ (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- From the Archives: Alexander Payne Discusses His New Feature ‘About Schmidt’ Starring Jack Nicholson, Working with the Star, Past Projects and Future Plans (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- From the Archives: About ‘About Schmidt’: The Shoot, Editing, Working with Jack and the Film After the Cutting Room Floor (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- About Payne: Alexander Payne on ‘About Schmidt,’ Jack Nicholson and the Comedy of Deep Focus (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
- Jim Taylor, the Other Half of Hollywood’s Top Screenwriting Team, Talks About His Work with Alexander Payne (leoadambiga.wordpress.com)
Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film
Check out my brand new Facebook page & Like it–
Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film
The work-in-progress page is devoted to my acclaimed book about the Oscar-winning filmmaker and his work.
“This is without question the single best study of Alexander Payne’s films, as well as the filmmaker himself and his filmmaking process. In charting the first two decades of Payne’s remarkable career, Leo Adam Biga pieces together an indelible portrait of an independent American artist, and one that’s conveyed largely in the filmmaker’s own words. This is an invaluable contribution to film history and criticism – and a sheer pleasure to read as well.” –Thomas Schatz, Film scholar and author (The Genius of the System)
The book sells for $25.95.
Available through Barnes & Noble, on Amazon, for Kindle and at other bookstores and gift shops nationwide.
Purchase it at–https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRORX1U?ref_=k4w_oembed_c1Anr6bJdAagnj&tag=kpembed-20&linkCode=kpd
You can also order signed copies by emailing the author at email@example.com.
Author-journalist-blogger Leo Adam Biga resides in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. He writes newspaper-magazine stories about people, their passions, and their magnificent obsessions. He's the author of the books "Crossing Bridges: A Priest's Uplifting Life Among the Downtrodden," "Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film" (a compilation of his journalism about the acclaimed filmmaker) "Open Wide" a biography of Mark Manhart. Biga co-edited "Memories of the Jewish Midwest: Mom and Pop Grocery Stores." His popular blog, Leo Adam Biga's My Inside Stories at leoadambiga.com, is an online gallery of his work. The blog feeds into his Facebook page, My Inside Stories, as well as his Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, Tumblr, About.Me and other social media platform pages.
- Nebraska’s own Lynn Stalmaster gets long overdue Oscar leoadambiga.com/2017/02/27/neb… 6 hours ago
- Nebraska’s own Lynn Stalmaster gets long overdue Oscar leoadambiga.com/2017/02/27/neb… https://t.co/1jr30ghxQW 10 hours ago
- Nebraska’s own Lynn Stalmaster gets long overdue Oscar leoadambiga.com/2017/02/27/neb… https://t.co/zm2yHXqno0 10 hours ago
My Favorite Tags
My Favorite Categories
Calendar of Blog Posts
Categories from A to Z and # of Posts
- Free Radical Ernie Chambers the Subject of New Biography by Author Tekla Agbala Ali Johnson
- Nebraska's own Lynn Stalmaster gets long overdue Oscar
- JOHN C. JOHNSON: Standing Tall
- Color-blind love: Five interracial couples share their stories
- Howard Rosenberg’s Much-Traveled News Career
- From My Series Out to Win: The Roots of Greatness, A Brief History of Omaha’s Black, Urban, Inner-City Hoops Scene
- Golf Shots: Pat Drickey Lives His Dream Photographing the World's Great Golf Courses
- When New Horizons Dawned for African-Americans Seeking Homes in Omaha
- Life comes full circle for singer Carol Rogers
- Harley Cooper, The Best Boxer You've Never Heard Of
- Nebraska’s own Lynn Stalmaster gets long overdue Oscar
- Of Dreamers and doers, and one nation indivisible under…
- Refugees and asylees follow pathways to freedom, safety and new starts
- Love affair with Afghanistan and international studies affords Tom Gouttierre world view like few others
- ‘The Incredible Shrinking Man’ and ‘Downsizing’ speak to each other and to us 60 years apart
- ‘King of Comedy’ a dark reflection of our times
- Catch me talking ‘Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film’ on the podcast – ‘The Dustin Dales Show’
- A Tribute to Father Ken Vavrina – Sunday, Feb. 12 at St. Benedict’s
- Forty-five years later and ‘The Godfather’ still haunts us
- Dick Holland remembered for generous giving and warm friendship that improved organizations and lives
- What if Creighton’s hoops destiny team is not the men, but the women?
- ‘The Graduate’ revisited
- 618,576 hits
- “Nebraska Methodist College at 125: Scaling New Heights”
- ‘Crossing Bridges: A Priest’s Uplifting Life Among the Downtrodden”
- About Leo Adam Biga
- Film Connections: How a 1968 convergence of future cinema greats in Ogallala, Neb. resulted in multiple films and enduring relationships
- Follow My Blog on Facebook, Networked Blogs, LinkedIn
- From the Archives…
- Going to Africa with The Champ
- Hire Me
- Introducing Freelance Writing Academy Seminars with Instructor Leo Adam Biga: Book Biga Today
- My Amazon Author’s Page
- My Inside Stories, A Professional Writing Service by Omaha-Based Journalist, Author and Blogger Leo Adam Biga
- Nebraska Screen Heritage Project
- OUT TO WIN – THE ROOTS OF GREATNESS: OMAHA’S BLACK SPORTS LEGENDS
- Seeking Sponsors and Collaborators
- Passion Project. Introducing the new – “Alexander Payne: His Journey in Film”
No upcoming events